Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Once again, boy bands bring me joy whent the real world makes me weep.
Lance Bass admits he's Gay
Washington Courts Uphold Gay Marriage Ban

Actually, the headline made me weep, the article made me nauseous. "...limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples furthers the State’s legitimate interests in procreation..." and "in this case the State has established that DOMA was enacted to codify the common law, to promote procreation, and to encourage stable families."
FUCK PROCREATION! Seriously, raise kids if you want them, but the state's interest in procreation is just a fucking front for nepotism, racism, sexism, homophobia and the whole lot of real social ills. Ideally I want the government out of marriage altogether, no fucking benefits for anyone because they're a couple. Make it really easy for individuals to make designations and benefits to whoever they want, but stop tying it up in the whole barfy coupledom.

I'd considered marriage once. I was overwhelmed with the penalties and benefits turning a relationship into a contract would incur. I could easily procrastinate the issue as long as heterosexism in marriage prevailed. Now I see that whole time in my life as one where I was trying to fit into a space that just wasn't my size. I'm gonna go listen to the Decline and Fall of Heavenly again...

1 comment:

Leaf said...

"Ideally I want the government out of marriage altogether"

I agree. And while we're at it, how about getting the government out of our lives altogether.