Wednesday, November 28, 2007

So little to say. I live in Brooklyn now but cannot compete with some of the most awesome indie music blogs in the world. I have not gotten into Vampire Weekend and was even a little more turned off after I heard them on NPR...the songs just don't seem to be intellectual enough to warrant namedropping Columbia University in every article. But maybe this is the shift I started to witness in Athens in 2000, whatever was left of indpendent punk spirit was going to be washed away by the chance to be popular and the inclusion of the non-punks into the fold.

It's pleasant enough stuff. Just not going near my top 10 list this year. Maybe if I saw them live I'd feel different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just having a chat with myself a couple of days ago and ended up launching into this whole thing about how the indie scene used to have a sort of attitude that was kind of 16-25ish (metaphorically speaking) and that now it seems to be more of a 25-35ish mindset. Older, more consciously self aware of itself, taking itself more seriously, and less in touch with the metaphorical youth rebellion aspects of itself which had previously been an integral part of itself all the way back to the 50s.

I'm not sure I fully buy my argument, I do have kind of an irrational chip on my shoulder when it comes to the indie scene these days. I think there are probably to many folks that remind me of the kids who thought I was weird for talking to myself back in high school.

I can't help wonder if there is something to my idea though. It does provide an interesting context for my new found fascination with geek culture, especially WRock. There's still a level of self awareness, but it is kind of silly to try and act cool when getting in the door involves outing yourself as an unrepentant geek. And not in an ironic way.

Oh well. And yes, I do know I owe you an email. I will write. I've got too many irons in the fire right now and am trying not to loose my mind anymore then I already have. Hopefully this weekend. Soon for sure.